Monday, September 18, 2006

Abergavenny Food Festival a roaring success





Abergavenny food festival was really good this year. There was a lot of food stalls to try and see, and the local producers were out in force. There was a great section dedicated to cheese and wine producers, and me and my chums attempted, valiantly, to taste each of the cheeses, and a few of the wines. I especially liked a certain cumin flavoured cheese. Moving on to the area at the back of the market we found some delicious chutneys and dipping sauces. I bought a really good chili dip from a company called 'Essential Dressings' , from Worcestershire, and an amazing Aubergine and Garlic chutney from 'Avrils' country Kitchen of Newport.
I didnt get to go to festival on Sunday, which was dissapointing (the crow point festival in Newport took over the rest of my weekend), as I wanted to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall conjuring some of his magic. Never mind - it looked like his temporary River cottage could have done with a new roof.
I had to buy a bottle of the Apple and Blackcurrant Brandy made by Black Mountain Distillers. Top stuff, this.
This festival is top class, and I'm sure it could grow and grow, but Abergavenny probably couldnt take the strain of many more people on the Saturday. Next year, I'm going for both days, and I'm going to enjoy the evening hog roast at the castle.

No comments: